Posted on January 21st, 2011
Using accessories is a wonderful way to change up your look and get more mileage from the same basic wardrobe. The beauty of accessorizing is that it’s a much more affordable way to achieve the same result – when you use accessories, you can create many different looks and styles without spending on new clothing items.
When we discuss “rules” for accessorizing, these are not strict rules. Wearing accessories is all about creativity and imagination, and we wouldn’t want you to limit yourself too much. However, there are a few dos and don’ts when it comes to wearing accessories. Let’s examine them.
1. Don’t overdo it. When you have several accessories that you love, it’s easy to get carried away and use all of them with the same outfit. Try to resist the temptation to do so. For example, you could accessorize a simple black sheath dress with a beautiful silk scarf or with a stunning brooch, but it’s not a good idea to wear both.
2. Remember that accessories should complement your outfit and make it more interesting – they should not overpower your look. It’s fine to wear a statement necklace, for example, but if it’s too big and flashy, it could backfire and become a distraction.
3. Choose flattering colors. In many cases, you will choose accessories as a way to add a splash of color to an otherwise subdued outfit. Make sure the color of the accessories matches not just the outfit, but also your complexion. A beautiful scarf in a shade that’s wrong for you will detract from your appearance instead of enhancing it.
This Missoni coral chevron patterned wool scarf will add texture as well as color to a basic outfit. $180 at Bluefly
4. Keep trends in mind, but don’t go crazy about it. Unless your goal is to look super trendy, it’s best to stick with accessories that you’ll be able to wear for several years. You don’t want to buy something today that will scream “So last season!” next year. The only exception: If it’s an inexpensive, fun piece and a trend that you really want to try, go ahead and have fun with it!
5. Texture is just as important as color. While in most cases we use accessories to add color, they can also be used to add an interesting texture to an outfit. A funky scarf, a pair of chunky heels, a large pendant necklace- each of these will add texture as well as color to an outfit.
Whatever you do, the most important thing is to have fun! Get creative, use your imagination, and if you feel like ignoring one of these rules, go ahead! Live a little. 🙂 We really do believe that fashion, above all, is about having fun.